My doctor has put me on a NO-DAIRY diet as we try and figure out my stomach complications. Food allergies are common, but are often ignored. This restriction was put on my diet last Monday - and was violated this weekend during the Super Bowl. Eating dairy free is no walk in the park. However, I'm learning that provided with the right tools eating dairy free can be "easy".
http://www.godairyfree.org is a wonderful resources if you're willing to pay your way to learn how to eat. I feel much less sluggish, but can feel myself wanting to go back to eating my favorite cheese laden foods. On the bright side - I should be able to see weight slide off and will feel less bloated on a regular basis. I've eaten semi-vegan before and I enjoy it! Tofu! Edamame! Fake cheese!
Daiya looks like it's going to be a savior to me!
Below is a great list of Vegan foods courtesy of kblog.lunchboxbunch.com - I will be able to have some of my favorite foods - in MUCH healthier form!
1. Extra Virgin Olive Oil (macadamia, grape seed and hemp oils are also fantastic)
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
3. Vegan Protein Substitution: (Tempeh/Tofu/Seitan/vegan sausages/gardein/boca)*Tempeh is my fave.
4. Sprouted Grain Complete Protein Bread or Quinoa
5. Nutritional Yeast
6. Vegan Sweetener *Maple Syrup - Grade B is best* Agave Syrup works too
7. Kombucha Beverage
8. Cayenne or Cinnamon ('warm' spice)
9. Soy, Hemp, Nut or Rice Milk
10. Vegenaise Spread
11. Sweet Potatoes
12. Citrus Fruit (Grapefruit, Oranges, lemon)
13. Frozen Green Pod Protein (Shelled Edamame or Peas)
14. Leafy Greens (arugula/spinach/watercress)
15. Rice Crisps - wasabi flavor is my fave
17. Fresh Herbs (flat-leaf parsley, cilantro, basil and more)
18. *Assorted Fresh Seasonal Produce* (Local/Farmers Market preferred)
19. Raw Nuts (Brazil/Cashew/Almonds) and Seeds (pumpkin, sesame, hemp, poppy)
20. Coconut Water (A MUST!) Coconut Water Taste Test.
22. Mushrooms (Shiitake preferred)
23. Tea (Green, Black or Chai)
24. Spicy Condiments (Dijon Mustard, Salsa or Harissa)
25. Dried Rice/Grains (like Quinoa)
26. Berries (fresh or frozen blueberries, strawberries, blackberries...)
28. Fresh black pepper grinder
29. Dried/Canned Beans
30. Fresh Morning Fruit: Papaya or Melon is my fave
31. Vegan Cheese (Dr Cow, Follow Your Heart or Daiya)
32. Lots or Lemons!
33. Digestive roots: fennel, radish or ginger
34. Soy Yogurt
35. Something sweet... soy/coconut/hemp ice cream perhaps...